Mesothelioma is a rare but severe form of cancer that is brought about by exposure to asbestos fibers. These fibers, once inhaled, attach to the mesothelium lining of the major internal organs, inducing malignancy in the cells around the area. The cases spiked in the early and mid-1900s where soldiers and many blue-collar jobs were working for asbestos processing industries. The companies were informed of the health risk caused by the exposure to asbestos on the victims but never told the unsuspecting workers since the business had big profits.
When they started experiencing a complication, they filed lawsuits, and the companies went to court and were declared bankrupt. The court, however, directed them to put up trust funds that will compensate the mesothelioma victims and their families. There are over thirty billion dollars of trust funds for mesothelioma patients. Moreover, most mesothelioma lawsuits are settled without going to trial.
Types of claims
Personal injury Lawsuit: when the patient files the lawsuit, it is called a personal injury claim. The award can be lost income, pain and suffering, and medical expenses. The court can also award punitive damage, which will discourage any future wrongdoing by any corporation.
Wrongful Death Claim: In the unfortunate event that the person living with mesothelioma dies, the family members can file a wrongful death claim. The compensation may seek to settle medical bills, burial expenses, and other personal expenses for the family in case of a family provider’s death.
Reasons for a lawyer in mesothelioma lawsuits
- It would be best if you had all the time you can get to be with your family, friends and focus on your health; thus, a lawyer will take care of all the legal requirements in your case to give you as much time as you want.
- A lawyer knows the amount of compensation you are entitled to and will work to ensure you get the best deal or the best outcome out of a trial.
- Gathering evidence, planning, and presenting your case is a very tedious process that requires experts. Representing yourself may result in a raw deal and the worst outcomes from a court trial. Having a mesothelioma lawyer working on your case will give you an edge and ensure you are satisfied.
- The experience the lawyers bring to the case, having dealt with similar issues, will help solidify your claims and get compensated in due time. With the available evidence, they can predict a case’s outcome and advise you whether to move to trial or settle.
- The majority of mesothelioma lawyers are genuinely concerned about the welfare of the mesothelioma victims. They are not driven by the money drawn from the case but by justice for the victims.
- The lawyer can also be very valuable in determining whether the companies responsible for your illness have a trust fund and guide you through the process of fining the claim.
Filing a mesothelioma lawsuit is very important since mesothelioma treatment need treatments that are very expensive. Sometimes the insurance does not cover travel and caregiving expenses. If you are a victim or a relative of a person living with mesothelioma, file a lawsuit, and the compensation will cater for all costs.